Travel The University of New Orleans Home  

Travel Policies/Procedure

Travel Reimbursement

State Liability Travel Card &
Controlled Billed Account (CBA)

Car Rental

Meals & Lodging

State Contracted Travel Agencies

State Travel Office

Travel Forms

More Questions

Contact Us!

Useful Travel Websites

Business Affairs Home

UNO Travel Home

UNO Travel
Office of Business Affairs
2010 Administration Bldg.
2000 Lakeshore Drive
University of New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70148

Office: (504) 280-6209
Fax: (504) 280-7474



State Liability Travel Card and Controlled Billed Account (CBA) Program

UNO has entered into an agreement with the State of Louisiana and  Bank of America to participate in the State Liability Travel Card and CBA Program.  The travel card is a tool used to assist employees in paying for specific, higher cost travel expenses, incurred during travel for official state business.

Effective July 1, 2015, the Louisiana Office of State Travel will require state travelers to use a state liability travel credit card or UNO’s CBA account (master credit card Accounts Payable has access to use) for all high cost travel expenditures, which include airfare, lodging, vehicle rentals, and conference registration fees.  If an employee has a state liability travel card, it is mandatory the card is used for these high cost expenditures.  If an employee does not have a state card and plans to travel more than once a year, the employee should obtain a card.  Please contact Tommy Scott at or Dana Bird at in Accounts Payable for assistance with receiving a state travel card, or usage of the CBA.

To receive a travel card, employees must submit a Cardholder Agreement and Enrollment Forms to Business Affairs, complete a training session with Accounts Payable, and complete an online cardholder certification through the State's training site, LEO. The cardholder's supervisor must approve all travel card purchases. The approver must be at least one level higher than the cardholder, have knowledge of the cardholder's business needs, complete the Approver Agreement Form, and complete the approver online certification on LEO. Failure to have a supervisor participate in the program can prevent the card from being issued. Cardholders must always adhere to the policies and procedures issued by the Office of State Purchasing and Travel, as well as the UNO’s policy.

Below are helpful links regarding the travel card program:

Procedures and Forms


Allowed Travel Card Expenses

Below are the State Liability Travel Card allowable expenses.  All charges must fall within the Office of State Purchasing and Travel’s and UNO’s policies, and PPM-49. 

  • Airfare – Airfare must be paid with either a state liability travel card or UNO’s CBA account (not a personal credit card), and through the State’s travel agency, Short’s Travel Management, unless approval from the State Travel Office is granted.
  • State Contracted Travel Agency Fees
  • Registration for Conference or Workshops - Membership Dues are not allowed.
  • Hotel/Lodging – Must fall within PPM-49's allowed tier daily rates. Hotel Planer must be used to book a reservation.
  • Rental Vehicle – Compact or Intermediate / Midsize is allowed.   Fuel and insurances are not permitted. Must fall within PPM-49's vehicle rental policy.
  • Parking – Only with hotel stay and combined on invoice.
  • Internet Services – Only with hotel stay and combined on invoice.
  • Gasoline for Rental Car/State Owned Car Only - Not to be used if agency is part of the Fuel Card Program/Contract.  Prepaid receipts are not an acceptable form of documentation.
  • Shuttle Service – Only when pre-paid prior to trip. Not for individual ground transportation during a business trip such as taxi, bus, etc.

 Please note food and ground transportation are not allowed on the state travel card.  

Airfare Purchases - CBA and State Card

It is mandatory that all airfare purchases are made through the State’s travel agency, Short’s Travel Management.   If a purchase is made online, a $5 agent fee is charged.  If made by phone, a $24 agent fee is charged.  A $15 late fee is charged for booking or changing a flight outside Short’s hours of operation (Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm). 

Airfare purchases are made with either the state liability travel card or UNO’s CBA.  A personal credit card cannot be used. A travel authorization form must be completed and approved before an airfare purchase is made.  The flight itinerary must fall within the authorization form’s dates. 

Short’s will contact Accounts Payable if the CBA is requested as the form of payment for a flight purchase.  If the CBA is used, please book during normal UNO business hours.  Short’s and the airline provide UNO with an allocated time frame to approve / pay for an airfare ticket.  If booked outside of UNO’s business hours, the flight may be canceled due to nonpayment.     

Hotel Purchases - Hotel Planner

Per the Office of State Travel, all hotel reservations must be processed through Hotel Planner.  The following link provides instructions and screen shots of each step to assist when booking a hotel reservation: Hotel Planner Step By Step Instructions.

State of LA Hotel Planner Guidelines file was created by Hotel Planner describing the booking process, and provides additional information if needed.                                  

The Hotel Planner site is simple to use and similar to most travel purchasing websites.  Through Hotel Planner, there is an option to pay with a credit card or the CBA.  The state travel card should be utilized as the form of payment by employees who are in possession of the card.  The CBA must be used by UNO employees who do not have a state travel card, and as often as possible for students and guests. A travel authorization form must be completed with an authorization code prior to booking a hotel. 

UNO was granted an exception to bypass Hotel Planner for conference hotel bookings only, if the following conditions apply:

  • The conference hotel’s rate must be less expensive than the identical hotel on Hotel Planner. 
  • The traveler must provide a cost comparison to verify the cost savings.  The cost comparison is submitted with the travel card log and/or travel voucher, and must be completed prior to booking.
  • Conference rates often include amenities not included through Hotel Planner, such as meals, parking, internet services, etc.  The cost of included amenities should be taken into consideration when comparing rates.  For example, Hotel Planner’s rate may be less expensive than the conference’s rate, but the conference rate may include meals, making the conference rate cost justified.  

Contact Information

Tommy Scott
Coordinator for Card Services | Accounts Payable
2000 Lakeshore Dr. Math Bldg. # 300 B
Phone: 504.280.1244 | Fax: 504.280.1232

Dana Bird
Accounts Payable Manager
2000 Lakeshore Dr. Math Bldg. # 300 A
Phone: 504.280.5431 | Fax: 504.280.1232

Mike Dauenhauer
Assistant Vice President for Business Affairs - Accounting and Procurement
2000 Lakeshore Dr. Admin Bldg. # 2010
Phone: 504.280.7475 | 504.280.7474 fax




The University of New Orleans • 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans, LA 70148
(504) 280-6000 • Toll-Free at (888) 514-4275